First of all, what is the difference between a cold and the flu?
In general the flu is considered to be more dangerous.
As with anything, it is best to prevent or reduce the likelihood of contracting the common cold or influenza (flu). Our body is always trying to maintain its balance, homeostasis. We just need to develop a few habits that can serve us well for a life time.
PREVENTION IS EASY AND EFFECTIVE:
- TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF. Moderation in everything; diet, sleep, exercise, etc.
- WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY. I personally am not a fan of hand sanitizers. They dry the skin and destroy the good bacteria on our skin which can leave us open to more infections.
- COVER YOUR COUGH OR SNEEZE with your elbow.
- AVOID CONTACT WITH SICK PEOPLE when possible.
- Don’t let the air get too dry during the winter months. If you use a humidifier, make sure to clean it regularly.
- Sanitize surfaces when you clean. Use all natural cleansers that contain; tea tree, rosemary, lemon, pine or peppermint. They are very effective in cleaning surfaces and are actually good for us.
- Infuse the air with pleasant smelling antiviral plant oils such as cinnamon, lemon, orange, rosemary, tea tree and eucalyptus. Add one or more of these to a pot of boiling water on the stove for a wonderful antiviral aroma.
- ENHANCE YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM with:
- Black elderberry. Clinical trials on the elderberry took place in Israel in the middle of a flu epidemic in the 1990s. Patients displaying full-blown flu symptoms were given elderberry extract and within 48 hours 75% of patients reported a clear improvement. Within 72 hours 90% of patients were symptom-free.
- Use PROTECT salve on hands or the bottom of your feet
- Inhale I-MUNE formula daily during cold and flu season.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION on this see the CDC web site.
IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH SOMETHING –
stuffy nose, that headache, feeling off; immediately incorporate some simple steps:
- GARGLE WITH WARM SALT WATER for a scratchy throat
- TAKE BLACK ELDERBERRY as directed on the bottle. This wonderful berry is receiving more and more attention with regard to its anti-viral actions. See Pub-Med for more details.
- HONEY – local sourced if possible. Add to warm water with fresh lemon juice, or just take a spoonful of honey with a little fresh lemon added.
- DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS – plain water is the most important. I even like hot water, no tea, nothing added. The heat and the water help remove mucous.
- GET PLENTY OF REST – there is nothing more important for helping your body heal. We are so used to working thru everything with the use of over the counter or prescription drugs. We need to re-train ourselves to just rest.
AND IF YOU SIMPLY COME DOWN WITH COLD OR FLU
despite all of your efforts, the most important thing you can do is to get plenty of rest and drink fluids. It is amazing what our bodies can do if we give them what they need. If you end up with a persistent cough that is not productive here are a few essential oil options for you…
And get well soon.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you experience a severe cold or flu, please consult with your healthcare provider to rule out more serious concerns.